Becoming a Family Friend
Safe Families for Children works with volunteers to connect at-risk families with a healthy system of support. By becoming a Family Friend, your relationship encourages and strengthens another family so that they may thrive. Small things, like dropping off diapers or providing childcare for a few hours, imparts valued encouragement to families and an opportunity to build relationships that families in crisis often desperately need.
Responsibilities of a Family Friend may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing friendship and encouragement
- Childcare, tutoring or providing rides
- Sharing helpful information about parenting and life in general
- Donating items you no longer need, like furniture, bicycles, etc.
- Supporting parents with children staying with Host Families
- Advocating with/for families seeking the proper academic setting, mental and physical health opportunities, and other resources for their children
Family Friends are trained volunteers that are supported by a network of resources that includes community development organizations, schools, clinics, counselors and churches.